The food business is not only big business today it is also a high profile industry. With burgeoning food shows on television, cookery books, food magazines, culinary classes etc, there is a lot of recognition being accorded to chefs. In recent times chefs have started becoming almost as popular as film stars. Every country has its share of celebrity chefs particularly London, the melting pot of all cultures.
Today we will talk about some of the best known celebrity chefs in London, their food and their restaurants.
- Jamie Oliver: Also known as ‘The Naked Chef’ due to his food shows of the same name on BBC, Jamie Oliver was born in 1975. He is a renowned chef, restaurateur, cook book author. He was awarded the MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) for his contribution towards promoting healthy eating among Britain’s children in 2003. He believes in using only fresh and organic ingredients in his cuisine. Basically he cooks Italian and British food but with a global influence. His restaurant ‘Jamie’s Italian’ is extremely popular as are his TV shows ‘Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution’ and ‘Jamie’s 15 Minute Meals’. Today he is not just a celebrity chef but also brand with myriad endorsements.
- Gordon Ramsay: Recognized the world over for his many TV shows, Gordon Ramsay comes across as one of the most foul mouthed celebrity chefs in London. But he is also London’s most successful restaurateur. At the age of 34 his restaurant earned three Michelin stars which it still holds today. Some of the most high profile restaurants of the city belong to his stable. Since 1996 he has written 21 cookery books and still writes the food column for The Times’ Saturday magazine. ‘Hell’s Kitchen’ and ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ are two of his most popular TV series that are broadcast across the world. He has also been a part of Masterchef the reality food show.
- Heston Blumenthal: A pioneer in what is today called molecular gastronomy, Heston Blumenthal is often referred to as the ‘mad scientist of haute cuisine’. He loves to experiment with tastes and textures of food and is the creator of unusual dishes like the snail porridge, bacon and egg ice cream etc. To him food is a multi sensory experience and diners at his restaurant can listen to the sound of the sea over headphones while savouring the taste of his delectable seafood. He has appeared on a number of TV shows and written many cook books. In 2013 his restaurant Dinner was voted the 7th best restaurant in the world.
- Angela Hartnett: London’s foremost female celebrity chef, Angela Hartnett emerged from Gordon Ramsay’s stable to make a place for herself in London’s culinary scene. Her restaurant ‘Murano’ serves modern cuisine with an Italian accent. She won her 1st Michelin star just five months after starting operations. She has appeared in many food shows on TV including Hell’s Kitchen and written two books on Italian family cooking.
- Atul Kochar: The first Indian chef to be awarded the coveted Michelin star, Atul Kochar’s contribution to the London culinary scene is enormous. He has brought South Asian cuisine to the forefront of British dining experience. Author of numerous books on Indian food he has also appeared in several food shows on television including Masterchef Goes Large, Saturday Kitchen and Food Poker.
The list of celebrity chefs in London is almost endless. The common feature amongst them all is their passion for food and cooking and their fearless innovation.