Phone: [+44 -0- 208 087 2501] - Email: info@chefacademyoflondon.com

How to become a British citizen and start a career in the UK

Britain can offer an exciting opportunity to migrant workers who are looking to build a successful career as a professional chef. The UK has always welcomed populations from all over the world to bring their own favourite delicacies and skills to the country. Due to this, the UK has a diverse pallet for new cuisines and flavours.

Here is a guide on how you can become a British citizen and benefit from the growing industry to start your journey in hospitality.

How can I become a UK citizen?

The process to becoming a British citizen involves naturalisation. Naturalisation is the legal process by which a person changes their nationality. Successful applicants are granted the same legal rights and status to live in the UK as a natural-born British citizen.

Here are the basic requirements to apply for British citizenship:

  • Be over 18 years old.
  • Be of “good character”
  • Currently living in the UK.
  • Meet the English language requirements.
  • Pass the “Life in the UK” test.

There are many benefits to becoming a British citizen, including being able to live permanently in the UK which will allow you to develop a career in a prosperous industry. In addition, you can access world-class medical care for free and travel the world with a British passport. What is there not to like about being a British citizen?

Do you need British citizenship to work in the UK?

You do not need to be a British citizen to work in the UK. Foreign employees are able to apply for a work visa which will allow them to visit the UK for a longer period of time whilst having the right to work here. Currently many employers now have a Sponsorship Licence certificate which will allow them to hire staff from overseas in a simple way, especially in the hospitality industry. 

What types of visas are available for hospitality employees?

Since Brexit, the UK has now introduced a new points-based immigration system, its aim is to attract skilled workers who can contribute to the UK’s economy. There are two visas most common for internationals looking to start work in the UK.

Here are some of the visas you may be eligible to apply for:

  1. Skilled worker visa – This visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa. In order to apply for this visa you must work for a Home Office approved employer, have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer, and do a job that’s on the list of eligible employers.
  2. Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange visa (Tier 5). This visa is used if you want to come to the UK for a short time for work experience or to do training. To find out more, see the link here:

Can you automatically become a British citizen?

You do not automatically get British citizenship if you were born in the UK. It depends on when you were born and your parents' circumstances. You may be eligible to apply for citizenship if you were born in the UK and are not automatically a British citizen.

It is worth noting that there are different types of British nationality, take a look here: Types of British nationality: British citizenship - GOV.UK

How long do you have to live in Britain to become a British citizen?

You need to live in the UK for 5 years to become a British citizen.

How Do Foreign Workers Start A Career In The Hospitality Industry In The UK?

We recommend enrolling into a professional culinary course which will give you the experience and training to start your career in the UK hospitality industry. Here at Chef Academy London, we offer a range of courses which are bespoke, practical and are supported by experienced chefs who have been in the business for years.

To see more about our courses, visit the website here: Cooking Courses In London.

In order to enrol, we require our students to apply for a short-term student visa. This will allow you to complete your culinary chef course and to develop valuable experience in top restaurants in London. Once you have finished training, there are many opportunities to apply for a work visa at a restaurant which has a sponsorship licence to employ migrants.

If you have any further questions, we are always happy to discuss the options with you.

Chef Academy London LTD

Registered Office: 17 Hanover Square, Mayfair - London - W1S 1BN

Phone: +44 -0- 208 087 2501

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Chef Academy London

Chef Academy London was founded in 2007 and since then has led the way for professional training for head chefs, pastry chefs and restaurant managers. Book an appointment with one of our expert advisors for more information.

Contact Us

The Chef Academy LTD

Registered Office: 17 Hanover Square, Mayfair - London - W1S 1BN

Phone: +44 -0- 208 087 2501

Email: info@chefacademyoflondon.com